Historic Downtown Coupeville
The town of Coupeville is located in the heart of Whidbey and is considered the jewel of the island. It is the second oldest town in the state of Washington and was a popular place for sea captains to retire in the early 1800’s. It has been a popular spot to film major Hollywood movies, like “Practical Magic” with Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman, “War of the Roses” with Danny De Vito, and “Snow Flakes Falling on Cedars.”
Ebey’s State Park
Fort Ebey State Park, a 645-acre camping park on Whidbey Island, was originally built as a coastal defense fort in World War II. Concrete platforms mark the gun locations. The park has three miles of saltwater shoreline on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, a freshwater lake for fishing, and miles of hiking and biking trails.
Deception Pass Bridge & State Park
Deception Pass State Park is the most-visited park in Washington, with over 2 million visitors each year. The park was officially established in 1923. Deception Pass State Park has a number of recreational opportunities, including three campgrounds, several hiking trails, beaches, and tidepools. Fishing is popular in Pass Lake, on the north side of the bridge.
Small family wineries set in spectacular rural countryside offer critically acclaimed wines and unpretentious hospitality. Passionately created and diverse in style, there is an island wine to tempt every wine-lover. The wines of the island represent the full range of the Washington varieties and regions including the exquisite and rare estate wines of the Puget Sound AVA, the states’ 3rd oldest designated grape growing region.
Fort Ebey & Admiralty Head Lighthouse
The light and Fort Casey’s big guns stood watch over the entrance to Puget Sound for decades. Today they watch over a breath-taking view of the Olympic mountains, Port Townsend ferry, shipping lanes, and even the ocassional Orca whales. Built in 1861 and rebuilt in 1903, the lighthouse guided tall ships toward the Whidbey Island shore where they could fill their sails with wind. It was the last brick lighthouse designed by renowned German architect Carl Leick – its walls 18 inches thick to withstand the earthquakes that shake western Washington.